Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Meanwhile Back in Assam

November 2016 was the time I was back in my native town of Dibrugarh with a heck of a planned itinerary. There was a lot on my plate - Majuli being the most thought about and also a trip to the paddy fields and forest reserves. But plans are meant to go for tosses I guess. Some directives from the pandit ji on the occasion of my kiddo's ceremony meant I could not get free within the first 3 days of my arrival. But then I decided to make the most of it anyway and explore whatever close proximities could provide.

The time spent this visit also presented ample time to ponder upon the sea change thats sweeping across the landscape, but better or for worse. Only time will tell. But one thing is for sure. I did notice a drop in green foliage this time. Time for a pre-introspect? I guess one is never too late. After all, there are so many mistakes to learn from. Guwahati being a prime example. If there are no lessons to be learnt from past mistakes, we are going to have very, very difficult times ahead.

Couple of days into my vacation and we headed out into the 'countryside' with the little kiddo. I had been out of touch with him for 3 and half months and wanted to have that 'bond' once again. So I wasted little time in setting the travel tone right. The time was perfect. The paddy fields just the shade of golden yellow that I'd always imagined for Sting's 'Fields of Gold'.


The early morning sunshine made them glow all the more. We could make out the farmers at work in the fields and some womenfolk fetching tea and eatables to the people at work. For a moment I was taken back to my early days when we would visit our ancestral place during school breaks. Well, I guess the wheel has turned a full circle. Its me now taking my kid out to the fields, although not mine.


The place we went out to was a ghat, named after a boatman. In Assamese speak, its Hareghar Ghat, Hareghar being the boatman in the story. I don't know much but thats what the placards told me.



Kiddo seems to have a penchant for traveling. I'm arriving at this going by the 'un cranky' mood he is when taken on a drive. And the wide looks out the window, of course. Well, parenting #1 seems to be working well. 

The time for Kiddo's ceremony came and went well. A busy day indeed. And a tiring one at that. But all's well that ends well. Kiddo was well appareled for the occasion. I was handed over DSLR duties, but looks like the camera and I do not share a camaraderie! I did manage to just about scrape through I guess.
With the ceremony over, I had a few more days before we all returned to Delhi-NCR and a few more days to explore some places that we all skip when we take the hometown for granted. This time, somehow, I was determined to burn oil, literally, to go the distance and see what I have been missing all these years. Posting some pics here for eternity...to remind kiddo some years later that daddy dearest did take him to some cool places....
































































No comments: